My Shopping List
Lengua En Salsa De Tomate Y Rajas (Braised Beef Tongue)
Courtesy of The Beef Checkoff
Serve With:Servings: 6
Hot cooked rice, potatoes, side salad of shredded lettuce, chopped onion and tomato
Prep Time: 20 Min.
Cook Time: 4 1/2 Hr.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 1 beef tongue (about 3-1/2 lb.)
+ 2 large onions, divided
+ 4 cloves garlic, divided
+ 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
+ 1-1/2 lb. plum tomatoes, chopped
+ 3 large roasted poblano peppers, peeled, seeded, cut into thin strips
+ 1 tsp. salt
+ 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves
+ 1 tsp. dried Mexican oregano leaves
+ 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
What to do:
1. Chop 1 onion and mince 2 cloves garlic; set aside. Cut remaining onion into quarters. Peel remaining 2 cloves garlic; leave whole. Place beef tongue, onion quarters and whole cloves garlic in stockpot. Add enough water to cover; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 3- 4 hr. or until tongue is fork-tender.
2. Remove tongue; cool slightly. Remove and discard skin from tongue; cut away roots. Carve tongue diagonally across the grain into 1/2-in. slices. Set aside.
3. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add chopped onion; cook and stir 5-7 min. or until tender. Add minced garlic; cook and stir 1 min. Stir in tomatoes, poblano peppers, salt, thyme, oregano and black pepper; cook and stir 8-10 min. or until tomatoes are softened. Add sliced tongue; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10-15 min. to blend flavors.
* Cook's Tip: To roast peppers, arrange on large sheet of aluminum foil. Place on broiler rack so surface of peppers is 3 to 4 inches from heat. Broil 12 to 15 minutes or until skin is blackened, turning frequently. Fold aluminum foil over peppers to enclose. Let stand 5 minutes to loosen skins.
* Recipe courtesy The Beef Checkoff
Calories: 279; Total Fat: 19g; Saturated Fat: 6g; Cholesterol: 94mg; Total Carbs: 12g; Fiber: 4g; Protein: 16g; Sodium: 444mg;